I found this recipe on Allrecipes.com, which is my favorite recipe site because of the reviews.
I added milk, small peas, parsley and thyme to the original recipe. It also called for 4 chicken breast halves, but two good sized ones were plenty (1 to 1-1/2 lbs.) This was definitely a keeper!
2 skinless, boneless chicken breast halves (1 to 1-1/2 lbs.)
8 ounces egg noodles
1 (10.75 ounce) can condensed cream of mushroom soup
1 (10.75 ounce) can condensed cream of chicken soup
1 can of milk (I added)
1 cup sour cream
Can of baby peas (I added)
salt to taste
ground black pepper to taste
Thyme (I added)
Parsley (I added)
- 1 cup crumbled buttery round crackers
1/2 cup butter
1. Poach chicken in a large pot of simmering water. Cook until no longer pink in center, about 12 minutes. Remove from pot and set aside. Bring chicken cooking water to a boil and cook pasta in it. Drain. Cut chicken into small pieces, and mix with noodles.
- 2. In a separate bowl, mix together mushroom soup, chicken soup, sour cream, and peas. Season with salt and pepper, parsley and thyme. Gently stir together cream soup mixture with the chicken mixture. Place in a 2 quart baking dish. (2 quart is not big enough. I used a small roasting pan since it didn’t have to be covered.)
- 3. Melt butter in a small saucepan, and remove from heat. Stir in crumbled crackers. Top casserole with the buttery crackers.
- 4. Bake at 350 degrees F (175 degrees C) for about 30-40 minutes, until heated through and browned on top.
- Original source: http://allrecipes.com/Recipe-Tools/Print/Recipe.aspx?recipeID=11864&origin=detail&servings=6&metric=false
- I tweaked this recipe by adding milk peas, parsley and thyme. Also, a 2-quart casserole is not big enough. I used a small roasting pan since it didn’t have to be covered.
Family Rating (out of 4):
(Three out of four family members enjoyed this. The fourth is picky about everything and doesn’t like casseroles or cream sauce.)
Latest posts by Susan (see all)
- My Second 5-Gallon Bucket Garden – Tomatoes, Red Bells, Green Beans and Herbs - June 25, 2016
- Roasted Eggplant Parmesan – Plus a couple of simple low carb recipes with Eggplant! - September 16, 2015
- Cauliflower Mac & Cheese - August 21, 2015