I make this all the time. It’s so easy, and can be adjusted for each family member. For example, only two of us like mushrooms, so I leave the mushrooms off of two chicken breasts. I make this in my 12″ cast-iron skillet so that it goes from stove-top directly to the oven.
Printable recipe without images:
Outback Steakhouse Alice Springs Chicken Recipe
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breasts, pounded to 1/2 inch thickness
- Lowry’s Seasoning Salt
- 6 bacon slices
- 1/4 cup regular mustard
- 1/3 cup honey
- 2 Tbsp. Mayonnaise
- 2 teaspoons dried onion flakes
- 1 cup sliced fresh mushrooms
- 2 cup shredded Colby/Jack cheese
- First, Sprinkle and rub the chicken breasts with Lowry’s seasoning salt. Cover and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- While the chicken is in the refrigerator cook bacon in a large skillet until crisp (I used 12″ cast-iron skillet). Remove bacon and set aside. ***Do not discard grease. ***
- Sauté chicken in the bacon grease for 3 to 5 minutes per side, or until browned. Place chicken in a 9″ × 13″ casserole dish or pan (I kept chicken in cast-iron skillet.
- To make the Honey Mustard: In a small bowl, mix the mustard, honey, mayonnaise and dried onion flakes.
- Spread some of the Honey Mustard over each piece of chicken, then layer with mushrooms, crumbled bacon, and shredded cheese.
- Bake in a 350° oven for 30 minutes, or until cheese is melted and chicken is done.
- Serve with the leftover Honey Mustard Sauce.
This is a great recipe for a cast-iron skillet – from stove-top to oven. Otherwise, use a 9″ x 13″ pan or casserole dish. In fact, I just purchased a new 9″ x 13″ cake/brownie pan made by USA Pans (this makes the best brownies). I love their pans because they are sturdy, non-stick, provide even cooking, don’t warp, and are made in the USA. So far, I have the 13″ x 18″ sheet pan, 10″ x 5″ loaf pan, 6″ x 15″ New England Style Hot Dog Pan, and the 9″ x 13″ cake/brownie pan.
See my post titled My kitchen gadgets, utensils and bakeware recommendations
Latest posts by Susan (see all)
- My Second 5-Gallon Bucket Garden – Tomatoes, Red Bells, Green Beans and Herbs - June 25, 2016
- Roasted Eggplant Parmesan – Plus a couple of simple low carb recipes with Eggplant! - September 16, 2015
- Cauliflower Mac & Cheese - August 21, 2015