This is another family favorite. I usually make it once a month or so. It is similar to my pot roast, but without the vegetables and served over wide noodles or rice.
I’ve also updated this recipe to add red wine. I use Cabernet Sauvignon. The alcohol cooks out over time, but it adds such a wonderfully delicious flavor, without the wine taste. It is also similar to My Favorite Beef Stew Recipe, without the vegetables.
My Mother’s Beef Tips and Gravy with Noodles or Rice
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2-3 pounds of stew meat
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 3 cloves garlic, chopped or minced
- 2 15-ounce cans beef broth
- 1 bay leaf
- parsley and thyme sprigs (fresh if possible)
- 1/2 tsp rosemary
- 4 tbsp cornstarch
- 1/2 cup cold water
- 1/2 – 1 whole package wide egg noodles (cooked)
- Heat olive oil in a large Dutch oven over medium-high heat.
- Cut up stew mean into bite size pieces, sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Add stew meat to pan and cook 5 minutes, turning to brown on all sides. Remove stew meat from pot and set aside.
- Add two cans of beef broth to pot.
- In small bowl, add 4 tbsp cornstarch to 1/2 cup cold water and whisk quickly until cornstarch dissolves. Continue to whisk cornstarch mixture and add a little bit at a time to beef broth. Stir until thickened.
- Add stew meat back into pot, making sure stew meat is covered with liquid.
- Add a handful of parsley and 3-4 thyme sprigs, chopped garlic, and bay leaf to pot.
- When it becomes bubbly, lower heat and simmer covered for 2-3 hours (approx. 50 min. per pound).
- After three hours, stew meat should be falling apart tender, perfect.
- Remove thyme sprigs and bay leaf. Serve over noodles or rice.
- To above ingredients, substitute 1/4 cup flour instead of cornstarch
- 1 cup red wine (Cabernet Sauvignon) instead of 1/2 cup cold water
- In olive oil Brown beef on all sides, remove from pan and set aside.
- Saute garlic.
- Add flour and make roux, adding more oil or margarine if needed.
- Add wine, deglaze by scrapping brown bits from bottom. Let wine thicken and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Return beef to pot, add beef broth, Making sure stew meat is covered with liquid.
- Add bay leaf, parsley, rosemary, and thyme.
- Let simmer for two to three hours.
- Remove Thyme sprigs and bay leaf. Serve over noodles or rice.
Note: This recipe is similar to My Favorite Beef Stew Recipe, without the vegetables.
Update 4/26/16: I make the original version for my family, but now that I eat low carb, I serve it over cauliflower rice*. It is so good!
*Cauliflower Rice (also known as cauli-rice): Chop up some cauliflower florets in food processor or chopper. In microwave safe bowl, add 2 Tbsp of water and steam for 5 minutes.
If you prefer some diabetic-friendly, low carb alternatives, check out my website at CarbsMatter.com
Latest posts by Susan (see all)
- My Second 5-Gallon Bucket Garden – Tomatoes, Red Bells, Green Beans and Herbs - June 25, 2016
- Roasted Eggplant Parmesan – Plus a couple of simple low carb recipes with Eggplant! - September 16, 2015
- Cauliflower Mac & Cheese - August 21, 2015